Actually i'm using precompiled headers
Full rebuild with only opengl and nothing else
which is still a lot in my book but it;s way better now
I also created separate projects for jpeglib , pnglib and zlib so they dont get recompiled when the precompiled header is changed.
And since i hate Cmake with all my guts I did this in premake http://industriousone.com/premake
if anyone is interested i can share the premake.lua file
btw i didn't modify a single line of code for this
Visual Studio has a nice little feature ...force include
Now getting back to precompiled headers ...
When you are developing the engine they CAN be very HELPFULL
take a look at this article http://gamesfromwithin.com/the-care-and-feeding-of-pre-compiled-headers
It says at some point Don’t put any headers from the library itself in the pre-compiled headers.
Well i didn't do that yet since I'm still trying to figure out the engine and why it's taking so long to compile...
So far i have 2 main suspects ...
here i think windows.h is included everywhere
and i could not at least define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2009/11/30/9929944.aspx
and of course all other std stuff ..vector list etc etc
I suspect this is a real problem since
without PCH EVERY obj file has around 8MB
and the whole fodler has around 400MB
with PCH obj size drops to around 1-2 MB (albeit the pch file is 80MB) but
the whole obj folder is now 130MB
A nice little tool to find out what is your obj files is this http://www.cheztabor.com/dumpbinGUI/index.htm
I kind of suspect string and stringstream classes to be the main culprits.
I'll keep you updated if i make any progress in this direction.